The KMMS MMIs will take place from January 2021 and are a mandatory part of the application process. Candidates who are invited to interview will be able to view information on MMI timings and logistics via their applicant portal in KentVision. Please check your applicant portal regularly.
We also urge you to check your emails regularly for any additional communications around the MMIs and also to look in your junk folder as they sometimes get misdirected into these.
This year we will be holding the interviews online and candidates will be involved in a Group Station MMI.
We will endeavour to make any reasonable adjustments you require on the day of your MMI but we will need you to inform us in advance.
We did a MMI-focussed question and answer session on Instagram (@KMMSMedschool) on Monday 4th January – the highlights of this are pinned to our Instagram profile.
Please note that the selection process for Medicine can take some time.
We are looking forward to meeting you at your interview and wanted to give you the links you need as well as details of the technology specification you will need and what to expect at the interview.
You will need:
- A computer or tablet that is wifi enabled or, if possible, connected to the broadband supply by an ethernet cable
- A camera (to be seen) and sound (headphones/speakers so you can hear us and a microphone so we can hear you) – this will be used throughout the interview so you may want to consider using headphones if there will be noise around you
- Please access the interview using Chrome or Firefox as your browser
- If you are connecting from home it would be worthwhile trying to get other householders to refrain from using the internet during your interview
We will be using Microsoft Teams for the ID check, pre-brief, interview and debrief sessions. We recommend you download the Teams App onto the devise you will be using for the interview.
We are also offering candidates who are unfamiliar with teams the chance to test it on the 15th/16th February.
Quick Guide to Using Microsoft Teams
You can join a Teams interview anytime, from any desktop, laptop or tablet device, whether or not you have a Teams account.
If you don’t have an account, follow these steps to join as a guest.
- Go to the interview invite and select Join Microsoft Teams Meeting.
- This will open a web page, where you’ll see two choices: Download the Windows app and Join on the web instead. If you join on the web, you can use either Microsoft Edge or Google Chrome. Your browser may ask if it’s okay for Teams to use your microphone and camera. Be sure to allow it so you’ll be seen and heard in your interview.
- Enter your first name (as it appears in your UCAS application) and choose your audio and video settings.
- When you’re ready, click Join Now.
- This will bring you into the interview waiting lobby. This will notify the interviewing academics that you’re there, and someone in the interview can then admit you.
Note: If you are not admitted within 15 minutes you will automatically be put back in the lobby, but you can retry entering the meeting from there.
Tips if you are using Microsoft Teams on your Mobile Phone
If you are using your mobile phone to access the team sessions we have some tips that might help:
- Download the Teams app onto your phone
- If you don’t have access to wifi you may need to use your data to join the call (check you have enough)
- Prop your phone up against something solid – this can be a mug, or tin of beans or whatever you have to hand
- Think about surrounding noise – do you have headphones or can you find somewhere quiet
- Keep your phone plugged in to the mains power or a power block so that you don’t lose charge mid way through
- Finally, have a practice run with your friends or family so that you get used to how it works and can check things like your background, picture and sound quality
Tips about signing in to the Teams Session with the correct name
When you join the Teams session we need you to join with your First name (as written in your Kent Vision) and surname initial only. This is for data protection purposes.
If you are joining via your school/college or work account this might display your full name automatically.
There are two ways to resolve this issue:
Change name in Teams (only works with personal account, not school account)
In the Teams app, click the profile picture in the top right-hand corner of the screen.
Click “edit profile”
Change the name and click “save
Or you can join via browser:
Copy the meeting link from your email into the Google chrome incognito browser
Click “join as guest”
What to Bring
- Current Passport, UK Photo Driving License or EU Identity Photocard
- Kent Vision ID
- Please make sure you log in with your first name only
- There is no dress code for the interviews, we encourage you to wear something comfortable
- Make sure you have water if you think you will need it
- You may use pen and paper to make notes during the interview but please destroy the notes afterwards
- You will be asked during the briefing session to sign a Non-Disclosure Agreement stating that you will not share any of the content of the interview with anyone else. You will also be asked to confirm you are well enough to do the interview
We know that some of you (or our interviewers) might have unexpected technological issues on the day so please check these tips and tricks to prepare.
Technology helpline for Group Station MMI on February 17th: 01227 927878
*Disclaimer. This information is for indicative guidance only. KMMS is a new medical school and the BM BS programme is subject to successful progress through the General Medical Council’s quality assurance programme.